The Tales of a Contemporary Romance Writer


I also edit, critique, and blog. So, please be nosy and look around.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Review: 'Divine Turmoil'

It's Review Wednesday and today I have Divine Turmoil by your truly. M.S. Spencer reviewed it and captured everything I had hoped the reader would feel and see. Hope you enjoy the review, I know I did! Thank you M.S. Spencer. :)

                 I have to admit it was difficult to finish Divine Turmoil, not because it wasn’t a wonderful read, but because I am unfortunately dealing with the death from cancer of a loved one.  But Rebecca Rose described the pain and powerlessness associated with losing a parent so well that in a way it comforted me.


Divine Turmoil is the story of Serena and Brian, two people burned by life and mislaid hopes, unwilling to let their emotions take them to the place of comfort they know they’ll find in each others arms.  Ms. Rose has captured beautifully their gradual acceptance of the inevitable without making their resistance either artificial or irritating.

There are some priceless moments, as when Brian feels the first stirrings of jealousy and wants to pee on Serena to mark his territory, and some great lines: “Brian was the breath she couldn’t quite catch.”  Ms. Rose thankfully appreciates males and doesn’t make fun of their masculine nature. And her heroine isn’t one of those Pollyanna's who always knows and does the right thing.  I hate that, don’t you?

Oddly enough, my absolute favorite scene is toward the end when the villain (here Brian’s ex-wife Susan) tries to take Brian back.  Rather than make Susan a cardboard two-dimensional creature that everyone can hate, she adds dimensions—insecurity, doubt, even a wish to make amends—to her.  It reminds the reader that all humans have their dark side and their light side, and that no one is beyond redemption.

I recommend Divine Turmoil to anyone looking for a story that gives the reader romance plus  a cast of very real characters with very human features. I literally couldn’t put it down through the final chapters.  Thank you, Rebecca Rose!



Divine Turmoil is an e-book and after August 1 you can have it in print from Lyrical Press at:

No comments:

Post a Comment