The Tales of a Contemporary Romance Writer


I also edit, critique, and blog. So, please be nosy and look around.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Monday Beginnings

It's Monday morning and the start of another long week. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't looking forwards to today.

Last Friday I started a new chapter in my life--and one I think I'm going to really enjoy. I took over a summer writing class for my friend, Sera. Between life, work and school, her schedule didn't allow the time. So, here I am where the only thing I've ever taught is a few classes at the YMCA, and everyday things to my children--though that does count for something. Nevertheless, I'm as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rockers!

Friday's class actually went well. I prepared for it till the wee hours of the night and the results were awesome. But now what do I do for the next class, which is tonight? And the Monday after this one, and the one after that, ect? Aaahhh! I'm a panster (one who writes as if they're reading the story) and do things by the fly, so it's slightly agonizing to have to prepare for this.

As a class, we decided to do the five lessons on characterizing. I felt this was an important place to start and it's where the kids had the most questions. I explained how the character run the story and without these fabricated beings, FORGET IT. Your premise can be great, your plot something to be revered with all it's twists and turns. However, if your Prose sucks it's not going to work. Feeling what the character feels is so vitally important. Yet, we as authors sometimes forget it in our rush to get the story out. Now, there are the few which this comes naturally, and I applaud you, but must people it takes years to prefect.

Yup, today we're going to do a class on characterizing. We'll build a character from the ground up and watch how he/she transforms before our eyes. What fun! Do any of you teach? Or do you have any advice to share? I'd love to hear from you. :)

Have a Sparkling Day!

Rebecca Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment