The Tales of a Contemporary Romance Writer


I also edit, critique, and blog. So, please be nosy and look around.

Friday, March 16, 2012

Diaries of a Determined Cook: Sausage & Fennel Soup!

Since I've started this part of my blog I have gotten a lot of compliments on the recipes I put up. They're very easy and hard to mess with, unless you're me and gave you family Teflon Flu before!

I've also discovered that many writers don't know how to cook. Hmmm, I wonder if it has to do with the profession. Any-whoo, my family has noticed that when my cooking is good, I'm not writing as much. When my cook is bad, and it can get really bad, I'm doing a lot of great writing. Is it like that for anyone else out there? 

Today I have something I love, love, love! One of my students, who has attended Culinary classes, gave this to me. She's a fabulous woman with a extraordinary talent. Thank you Mia Stoll!

Sausage and Fennel Soup
(by the way, Fennel and a bulb of Anis are the same thing)

1 LB Jimmy Dean Spicy Sausage
1 Tbl olive Oil
1/2 Fennel Bulb, chopped
1/2 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
1/2 Yellow Onion, diced
1 tsp garlic, diced
3 Beef Bouillon cubes
3 cups water
1 Tbl A1 Steak Sauce
1-2 Tbl Fresh Thyme (Could substitute 1 1/2 tsp dried)
1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (Used up to 1 Tbl if you want it hot!)
1 Tomato, diced
1 Cup of dried Long Grain Brown Rice (I used the kind that takes 30 minutes to cook. Could substitute 5-minute white rice, though.)

Cook rice according to package directions, Set aside.

Dissolve 3 Beef bouillon cubes in 3 cups Hot water. (Heat water in a teapot.) Set aside.

In a dutch oven or stock pot, cook the sausage over medium heat. Remove from pan and set aside on paper towels to absorb oil. Wipe excess oil from pot. 

In the same pot, heat 1 Tbl olive oil over medium heat. Cook the Fennel 2-3 minutes until softened, stirring frequently. Add peppers, onion and garlic, Cook 5-6 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Add cooked sausage, beef bouillon, steak sauce, crushed red pepper, and if using, dried thyme.

Bring to boiling. Reduce heat to low or low-high, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Remove cover. Add the cooked rice, tomato, and if using, fresh thyme. Cook and stir until heated through.

Makes 5 servings. 

This is sooooo good!
Have a Sparkling Day!
Rebecca Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment