The Tales of a Contemporary Romance Writer


I also edit, critique, and blog. So, please be nosy and look around.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Talkin' Tuesday with Chris Redding!


Oh, it's sunny outside and the last of the summer weather! I'll miss you warmth. :(

Today on Talkin' Tuesday we're going to take a wild ride with suspense mystery writer Chris Redding. Chris, come on in and have a seat! Please don't mind the smell of polyurethane and paint and think I might have a dining room and office by the end of the week. :) Coffee? Tea? Don't mind my husband, Mark. He likes to be nosy. 

-So, writing was a natural thing for you, but what part of it is the hardest?
Actually the just sitting my butt in a chair. Once I am there it all flows, but there's laundry to do. Dog to be let out. Kids to shuttle places.
I love the people who say, "But you work from home. How come you don't have time?"
Uummm... because I'm working? *sticks tongue out*
 
-Too organized Plotter or Maniac Pantser?
Mania Pantser. I once outlined a story. Never wrote it. The thrill was gone. I love to not know where I am going with a story.

-When writing, must you hide from the kids? Where do you go and what kind of death threats do you shout?
My kids get it. DH (dear husband) doesn't always. I don't have to hide because I usually write when no one's home.
I love the school year!
 
-You do workshops to teach writers how to write from the male point of view. How did this come about?
I originally wrote it as an article for my local RWA chapter's newsletter. It was picked up a few places. At the time I was part of the Kiss of Death Chapter and involved in their online workshops. I was the liaison with the instructors. A few years went by and two people from Kiss of Death, Mary O'Gara and Diane Rowe, had started their own online workshops www.onlineclasses.com. They approached me to make that article into a full blown workshop. They have a special place in my heart because I wouldn't have gone down that road and created the first workshop let alone my second one Layering: Not Just for Cakes. I enjoy teaching.

-You must have an insane amount of energy to work per diem at a hospital, have a husband and two kids. What do you do to ground yourself to stay focused?
I WISH I had an insane amount of energy. Here's the rub. I like all that I do. My per diem job is not something that taxes my creative energy. My boss is the best in the world and I've learned to be very Zen about things from him. He's great about not worrying about things he has no control over. And I make my own hours. My kids are teens and I've raised them to be autonomous human beings. They know how to cook a little, how to clean, do laundry so they can pick up the slack if necessary. And my DH is not high maintenance. Does it always work? Nope, but for different days there are different priorities.

-Is there any thing we all would be shocked to know about you?
That I am not nearly as confident as I come across.

For Fun
Wine with cheese or Beer with TV?
Depends on who I am with.

Paperback or ebooks?
e-books. LOVE my Kindle.

Great cook or master at ordering take out?
I like to cook. Not sure I'm a great one, but my kids don't starve.

Sexy in flannel nightwear or hopin' to get lucky silk?
Flannel. It is all about comfort.

Romance, comedy, or horror movies?
 When I was younger I love horror movies. Now I'm into comedy.

What's your biggest pet-peeve, in the world, that makes you want to beat something/someone?
When people think they are above the rules. I'm not talking about bending rules. I'm talking about when it has been spelled out to them why the rule is in place and they still want me to break the rule for them.

Back to Work
-Are you insanely organized or are there note written on everything?
According to most people who know me, I am organized. I will confess to spreadsheets and lists in my possession. Compared to my DH I do everything willy nilly. Guess it is all relative.
LOL Sounds like my house. :)
 
-What's the biggest misconception people have about you and your writing?
I'm not sure there is one with my writing. I think people see me as fearless when I'm not.
Oh... you're fearless! You came on here to let me grill you. :)
 
-You started off writing suspense and mystery, what made you decide to try out romantic comedy?
I went through a time in my life when I needed to laugh.
I can totally relate to that!
 
-Does your husband like to brag about your writing career?
Not really.
He might be a secretive bragger! Mine started out that way.

-What's the writing no-no that makes you want to scream?
Head-hopping. A close second is lack of research.
-When writing, must you hide from the husband? (I know I have to!)
Actually not. I can just tell him I'm working. We usually go over our weekend stuff and if I need to write or edit on the weekend I have him lay out just what he needs me to help him with that weekend.
WOW Mark and I are the get up and, "So, what do you think we should get done today?" people. We work better with a plan but we both get bored really easily. LOL
 
-Any advice for aspiring writers?
Hone your craft and be persistent.

Chris Redding has shared her latest, View to a Kilt, with us! 
Waking up next to a dead guy can ruin your whole day. When a wise-cracking interior decorator wants to put her past behind her, the dead body of the mayor’s son makes her realize that won’t happen too easily. 
A conservative former computer geek for the FBI is holding on too tightly to his past. His wife died under suspicious circumstances and he believes the decorator has the information to solve the case. Unfortunately for him, she isn’t speaking until a series of events convinces her she needs protection especially when her biggest secret threatens to destroy both of their lives.


Thank your for having me.
I loved having you, Chris! 

Next week I'll be rambling about my year, new office, home and how I kept my career up through it all!
Have a Sparkling Day!
Rebecca Rose

3 comments:

  1. Great fun, Rebecca. I love the school year too like Chris! I love how Chris says she likes NOT knowing where her writing is going. I am such a plotter, so that fascinates me. I see the end and keep the course. Now I am vigilant about my head hopping, thanks! And her book here sounds like wicked fun, got to read (and as she is an Echelon author like I am now too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, I love when you stop in! Head hopping was so tough for me in the beginning. *huge sigh* Even now, sometimes I edit and think to myself...
    "what the heck did I do?" LOL

    Chris, loved having you. :)

    ReplyDelete