The Tales of a Contemporary Romance Writer


I also edit, critique, and blog. So, please be nosy and look around.

Friday, April 6, 2012

Diaries of a Determined Cook: Apple Bacon Tomato Soup

This has totally become a favorite in my house. Everyone was like, "Apple bacon and tomato together? I don't know, Mom." The teenager informed me that it'll 'probably' be good because bacon can make anything taste good. Thanks for the vote of confidence kids! :)

Next time I make this Jewel, I'll have to double the recipe. It all went! I couldn't believe it. You know what? I think I'm finally getting this cooking thing down. LOL

Apple Bacon Tomato Soup
Servings: 8
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 30 min

Ingredients:

5 slices of bacon(I used a whole pound minus the 3 slices the kids stole. If you do that, don't add in the salt. Wayyyy too salty.)
1 Tbl olive oil
1/2 white onion, chopped
2 tsp garlic, minced
2 cups beef stock
1 (15,5 oz) can pinto beans
1 (14,5 oz) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
2 stalks celery, chopped 
1 bay leaf
1 medium apple, thinly sliced
1/2 cup red wine (If you're like me and can't drink wine, even when cooked because of the phosphates, you can't substitute red/white grape juice or apple juice and use the same amount.)
salt and pepper to taste


Directions:

1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium hight heat until evenly brown. Drain, coarsely chop, and set aside.

2. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, and saute white onion and garlic 3 to 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in beef stock, pinto beans, tomatoes, celery, and bay leaf. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce hear, and simmer.


3. In a small saucepan over medium hear, cook and stir the apple in the red wine until soft.


4. Mix bacon, apple, and remaining red wine into the soup mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally until well blended.


First looking at this recipe I thought I'd totally mess it up because there seems to be sooo much to do. However, it was quicker than I thought and delicious with French bread served on the side. 

Enjoy and have a Sparkling Day!
Rebecca Rose 

Side note: My friend Wendy found this site for me since I'm always calling her to find substitutes for things. Gourmet Sleuth is a wonderful site to find all sorts of things. http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Articles/Wine-and-Alcohol-644/alcohol-substitutes.aspx
   

No comments:

Post a Comment