The Tales of a Contemporary Romance Writer


I also edit, critique, and blog. So, please be nosy and look around.

Friday, March 2, 2012

Diaries of a Determined Cook: Jambalaya

Good morning to the world. I'm happy to say that we finally got snow here in New England! While most people have complained about it, I'm really quite happy. I love how the fluffy white stuff gives the barren trees life. Beautiful.

Today on Diaries I have Jambalaya with Grilled Peppers. I tried this recipe last month and while my cretins (children) complained, they ate it and were pleasantly surprise at how much they liked it. That's right, I'm bringing them over to my side of food. Heeheehee.

Jambalaya with Grilled Peppers

Serves 6
Hands-on prep: 20 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes

1Tbl canola oil (I use olive with everything)
1 (16 oz) package Cajun-style sausage links, sliced. (you can find these with the sausages or special meat section)
1 (20 oz) package boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in thirds. (I use breast and cube them)
1 cup grilled pepper blend (I cheat. If you go in the frozen veggie section you'll find a pepper blend. I chop 'em up)
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with roasted garlic and onion
1 (14.5 oz) chicken broth
1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
2 1/3 cups instant white rice (I use brown)

1) Okay, now heat the oil in a pot over medium heat. Add sausage and chicken pieces; cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes per side. Add roasted peppers and celery; cook an additional 4 minutes; stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with pepper. Add tomatoes, broth and pepper sauce; stir to blend.

2) Bring it all to a boil; reduce heat to low and cover; cook for 20 minutes. Add rice and stir. Cook an additional 15 minutes. Remove from hear; let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.

Ohhhhh, yaaaa. I totally feel like a chief when making this. It's easy and quick when using a chopper for the veggies. The day before we'll have a meal with chicken because I'll buy a larger package where I can save two breast from it. So, while doing that meal, I'll cube the chicken for this one. Life is busy and being prepare makes all the difference! I only wish I was more organized in other parts of my life. :)

Enjoy and Have a Sparkling Day!
Rebecca Rose

*This coming Tuesday I have Sandra Sookoo coming to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment